Microsoft Outlook is one of the most widely used e-mail clients in the modern days. Although it is mainly used as an e-mail application, it also includes a calendar, a task manager, a contact manager and a journal. The Gmail web mail service has come up with the Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) support. Using IMAP you can synchronize your E-mail across multiple devices.
Below are the steps that are needed to be followed to access your Gmail Account through Microsoft outlook.
1) Firstly, open your Gmail account and go to settings option in it. In the settings option click on the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab and then tick the box which says “Enable IMAP”. After that click on the tab “Save Changes” that you will find at the bottom of this window.
2) Then you open the Microsoft Outlook page from the Start menu on your desktop. Once you have opened the Outlook, go to the tools option that you find on the Menu bar.
3) From the tools option select “account settings”. If you are creating an account for the first time, you will be prompted for wizard otherwise click on the “new” button under the E-mail tab.
4) Once you click on the new button, a window appears with two options. Select the option that says “Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP or HTTP”. Then select the checkbox that says “manually configure server settings” and click next.
5) Once you have selected the checkbox, a new window appears with three options. You select the option which says “Internet E-mail”
6) Another new window appears with heading “Internet E-mail settings” in this window you will have to enter some standard settings and some of your personal information.
7) Some of the information that you need to enter are, your name, e-mail address, your account type, incoming mail server, outgoing mail server, user name and a password.
8. Your account type should be IMAP and the incoming and the outgoing server should be imap.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com respectively. Your username should also contain @gmail.com. For example, if your username is abcde. You should type it as email@example.com.
9) Once you are finished with entering all the above information, click on “more settings” button and select the option “outgoing server”. Under outgoing server check the box that says “ “My outgoing server requires authentication”
10) In the next step you select the advanced tab and enter the information such as the “incoming server port number” and the “outgoing server port number”. Set the default values that the window shows you.
11) In the next step select the tab “Test Account settings”. If all goes well and good, you will see a success message and you then click close to continue.
12) Now if everything is working fine, you will see a set of folders for your gmail account. All the labels will show up as separate folders except, the built-in gmail folders will be under the new “Gmail” folder.
13) If you want to star a message in your gmail, you just need to flag the message in the outlook and it shows as a starred message in your gmail account.
14) To send a new email from your Gmail account, just change the “Account” drop-down to your Gmail address before you send a message. Also note that, if you only use Gmail, you won’t have this drop-down and it will default to your Gmail.
The outlook is equipped with a built in search folder called “large Mail” that lets you easily find mails with large attachments. Do not move the spam messages to the Junk E-mail folder in the outlook; move them to the Spam folder.