Dropbox has a unique type of folder called Public folder which lets users to share files present inside it. A file that is added to the public folder will get its own public link or internet link through which it can be shared with others – even with Non-Dropbox users.
If you don’t have a dropbox account, click here to set up one and learn how to use dropbox to sync files between multiple computers.
By default, whatever files and folders you add to the Dropbox folder (except in the Public folder) can be shared only with Dropbox users (i.e. users having a Dropbox account and are allowed to access the shared folder in your Dropbox account). But this is not the case with the Public folder present in your Dropbox. Once you add a file into the Public folder, it can be easily shared with not only Dropbox users but with anybody you would like. The sharing process just makes use of an internet link which will be assigned to each file that you drop or add in the Dropbox Public folder.
So, let’s see How to use this Public folder in Dropbox and share files present inside it with both Dropbox and non-Dropbox users. You can share files either through your Dropbox account (requires logging in into Dropbox website) or directly through the Public folder present inside your computer under My Documents.
Using the Public folder present on your computer
1) Navigate to the Dropbox folder on your computer (usually, the Dropbox folder will be present under My Documents folder on your computer).
2) Open the folder named Public.
3) Now, add the file you would like to share inside this Public folder.
4) Next, right click on that particular file, then hover your mouse over the Dropbox entry in the context menu and then click on Copy public link.
5) That’s it; now, you are ready to share this file with others. Just paste the copied link into your Chat conversations or E-mails and send it to the persons with whom you want to share the file. The person at the other end, in order to access the shared file, just needs to copy the received link and paste it onto his/her browser’s address bar.
Using the Public folder present on your Dropbox account
1) Login to your Dropbox account. Under Files, click on the folder named Public.
2) Now, right click on a file which you want to share and in the context menu thus revealed, click on Copy public link.
3) That’s it; now you are ready to share this file with others. Use the same procedure as mentioned above in step 5 to share the file.
In case, if you want to share a folder present inside the Public folder as a whole, then it can’t be done. Dropbox does not allow you to share a folder that is present inside Public folder but however you can share files individually that are present inside that folder. This is actually the case with only Non-Dropbox users. But you can share a folder present inside the Public folder with Dropbox users.