Contact Groups is a pretty useful feature available to all modern day cell phone users. It allows them to cater their daily phoning needs in the easiest way possible and helps them in managing their ever growing contacts list effectively.
When you store contacts inside Contact Groups, you can easily reach out for a particular contact you are looking for by just navigating into that respective group.
So, what is different about the Contact groups feature present on Android phones when it is also available on phones running on other platforms than Android? what additional options does it provide?
There is only a subtle difference. Contact groups feature present on Android smartphones provide its users with some additional options to play with the Contact groups feature which are not available on other phones.
The following section of the How-to guide will walk you through the procedure of how to add contacts to Contact groups, Create new contact groups and Edit contact groups on Android smartphones.
Adding Contacts to Contact Groups
1) On your android phone, click on the Contacts icon displayed on the Applications dock.
2) Now, in the Contacts list thus revealed, select the Groups tab.
3) Your android device by default will show three Contact Groups namely Family, Friends and Work which comes under your Phone memory category. I.e., all contacts stored in these Contact groups will be saved in your phone memory. The other category known as Google includes all your Contacts that are represented with your Google account.
4) Now, to add a contact or contacts to a Contact group, select that respective contact group and then tap on Add Member.
5) Now from the Contacts list thus opened, select the contact/contacts which you would like to add to this contact group and tap on the Add button.
6) Now, all the contacts you selected will be added to the Contact Group.
7) Similarly, repeat the steps 4 and 5 to add contacts to other Contact Groups.
Note: after adding the first member to a contact group, the Add member option will not be displayed as in step number 4 for adding further contacts. So, to add more contacts into the Contact group, tap on the Menu button and there in the popup menu thus opened, you will see the option Add Member.
Creating a New Contact Group
You can also create a new Contact Group if you wish. For example, you can have a contact group created to add Contacts of your best buddies. To create a new Contact group, do the following.
1) Under Groups, click on the Menu button and then select Create from the popup menu thus revealed.
2) In the Group information screen thus opened, give a name to the Contact group and tap on the Save button.
Hurray! You have your new Contact group created
Editing a Contact Group
For example, you might want to change the name of a particular contact Group. To do so, long press a Contact group and then select the option from the drop down list that says Edit group. In the Group information screen thus opened, you can change the name of the Contact Group.
Deleting a Contact Group and its Members
To delete a Contact group, long press on that Group and then select Delete from the drop down menu.
Once you press delete, you will see another popup menu opened on your screens which will ask you whether you want to delete Group only or Group and group members. So, if you want to delete the Group alone, then select group only and if you wish to delete both group and its members, then select Group and group members
In case, if you wish to delete only a particular contact from within a Contact group, then navigate into that Contact group and then long press a contact which you want to delete and then select Remove member.
So, this is how you can mange your Contacts effectively using Contact groups on your Android Smartphones.
If you frequently call a few numbers on a day-to-day basis, then you can store those numbers as speed dial contacts on your android smartphone. by storing contacts as speed dial contacts, you can reach out to a particular contact by just a touch of a key on your phone.