The Gmail Two- Step verification feature enhances security of your Gmail account in the form of prompting you for a verification code in addition to your normal mail id and password.
When you have the Two-step verification security feature enabled, after entering your mail id and password, a verification code will be sent to your mobile phone number (which you would have submitted during the process of enabling the two-step verification feature). After which you are required to enter the same verification code in order to get access to your Gmail account.
The following section of the How-to guide will walk you through the procedure of how to secure your Gmail account by enabling the two-step verification feature.
1) In your Gmail account, click on the Account settings option.
2) In the Account Settings window thus opened, under Personal Settings category, in the Security sub-category, click on the option that says Using 2-step verification.
3) Now, in the Protect your Google Account window thus opened, click on the Start setup button in order to start the process of enabling the two-step verification feature.
4) Now, the Set up your Phone page appears on your screens. This is the first step of the two-step verification where you have to specify how you would like to get the verification codes- in the form of a SMS or a voice call or else through an application on your smartphone.
5) Choose the option that you wish. In our case, we have chosen the Text message or voice call option. Once you have finished choosing an option. Enter the mobile number to which you want to get the verification codes and make sure that the radio button that says Send codes by SMS text message is selected. Once done specifying all the above said options, click on the Send code button displayed at the bottom of the page.
6) Now, you should receive a verification code to the mobile number that you entered in the previous step. In the mean time, you will be seeing the Let’s test the phone page on your screens. In this page, enter the verification code that you received in the code box and click on the Verify button. Once the verification is completed, you will see a message that says Your phone number is configured. Click on the Next button to continue further.
7) In the next page (So far, so good!) that is appeared on your screens, you will be asked to set up the back up options for your verification codes. This is required because, in case if you lose your mobile or if it becomes unavailable, then there will be no way for you to get back the verification code and hence access to your Gmail account. So, in this page, click on the Next button to continue further.
8) In the next page thus opened, you will see a list of backup verification codes which you can make use of in case you lose your mobile or if it becomes unavailable. Each code displayed over here will enable you to access your Gmail account only once. So, it is recommended that you take a print out of these backup verification codes or save them in a text file on a secured location on your PC. Once you have the back up copy of these verification codes, select the checkbox that says Yes, I have a copy of my backup verification codes and then click on the Next button.
9) In the next page thus opened, you will be asked to enter the mobile number of your secondary phone so that when your primary phone is not available, the verification codes can be sent to the secondary mobile number. Enter the secondary mobile number, select the radio button that says SMS text message and finally click on the Next button.
10) In the next page thus opened, click on the tab that says Turn on 2-step verification in order to enable the two-step verification feature for your Gmail account.
11) Now, log out of your Gmail account and login back. As soon as you finish entering the password for your account, you will be asked to enter the verification code that will be sent to your mobile number. Once you receive that verification code, enter it in the verification code box and you can gain access to your Gmail account.
In case, if you wish to disable the 2-step verification feature, then navigate to your Account Settings window and then click on the option that says Turn Off 2-step protection.
So, start using the 2-step protection feature to secure your Gmail account from being hacked. It is one of the finest features introduced by Gmail for keeping your Gmail accounts safe and secure.